Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Prune People

The Prune People is one of my least favorite of all of Edward Gorey's books. This wordless volume consists of drawings of people whose heads are large prunes. Literally faceless, the people in the drawings strike me as gimmicky rather than intriguing, and I was surprised to find that I have little interest in creating stories in my head based on the situations depicted. This was obviously not the case for Mr. Gorey since he published a second volume with these same characters.

Published in printed wrappers in 1983 by the Albondocani Press, The Prune People was issued in an signed limited edition of 400 numbered and 26 lettered (A to Z) copies. I have copies #J/26 & #361/400. To the left is the back of the announcement card for this title - the front of the card shows the illustration from the cover of the book. Interestingly, this book is included in the anthology Amphigorey Also which also was published in 1983.

No comments: