Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Have You Heard of Edward Gorey?

"Have you heard of Edward Gorey?"

This is a question that I have asked many people over the years. I have found that while most people are familiar with Mr. Gorey's animated introduction for Mystery on PBS, many do not know about his books. When first introducing someone to EG’s works, I always start them out on the same book: The Gashlycrumb Tinies.

The Gashlycrumb Tinies either makes people laugh or else they just don’t get it (or don't like it). Anyone who laughs usually wants to see more, and I am happy to oblige. I believe that most people who collect Gorey’s works are first drawn to his humor. I don’t remember which of his books was the very first I read, but by December 1979 I had asked my parents for a copy of Amphigorey for Christmas.

Some of the earliest in-print titles I remember buying at the bookstore were The Loathsome Couple, The Glorious Nosebleed and of course, Tinies.

No comments: